Data Scientist & Author
SlashData is the leading research company in the developer economy: We help the world understand developers and developers understand the world. We survey 40,000+ developers annually - across mobile, IoT, desktop, cloud AR/VR and machine learning - to help clients such as Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Amazon understand who developers are, what tools they love or hate and where they are going next.
We’re now looking for a full-time, Data Scientist to help drive insights out of millions of developer data points. You’ll be working based in Europe or North America (east coast), working from home, a co-working space or our Athens-based office to support our distributed team.
Who we’re looking for
As a Data Scientist, you will have 3-5 years working experience in number crunching, data analysis, predictive modelling and data visualisation. You will be fearless in data mining and keen to unearth meaningful patterns and actionable insights from the data.
You will have undertaken many data analysis projects where your novel insights and attention to detail would impress. You will have a proven record of communicating your findings to a non-technical audience, eloquently narrating the story behind the numbers. You might not have worked in the software industry before, but you have a passion for software, and wanting to figure out what makes the software economy tick - based on data.
If you’re that person, we’d love to talk.
What you’ll be responsible for
As a Data Scientist & Author you’ll be reporting to our Director of Research and Operations, with responsibility for:
- Data processing and modelling in SQL, R, Python, KNIME, Excel and visualisation software. You‘ll be working on several data projects, building models and extracting insights in the context of behavioural analysis, population forecasting, segmentation and profiling.
- Writing up your findings in short reports including visually appealing graphs and deep insights based on your analysis.
- Tracking the latest trends on software developers, including trends in AI & Machine Learning.
- Helping shape our research agenda and asking developers and data scientists the right questions.
- Interact with clients to provide insightful answers to tough data problems.
- Supporting the rest of the analyst team in their data quests as needed.
What skills we are looking for
- A data scientist, with a background in statistics, applied mathematics or computer science.
- A thorough knowledge and experience with the following families of algorithms: Decision trees (e.g. CART, CHAID), tree ensembles (e.g. Random Forests), regressions (linear, logistic), kNN, clustering (k-means, hierarchical).
- An ability to tell signal from noise in the data, and answer the ‘so what?’ question behind the observed patterns.
- Excellent writing skills (English), with the ability to communicate complex insights to non-technical audiences.
- Good presentation skills
- A passion for technology, and understanding of how it’s impacting people’s lives.
- Ideally having software development experience as a hobby or past work.
- Comfortable working as part of a distributed team across four continents.
What we offer
- Opportunity to make a difference as part of the leading research company in the developer economy
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working environment
- Come to work in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, or tie and a suit
- Annual training budget to develop your skills and career
- Monthly book allowance from Amazon, on any book you like
- Spotify Premium subscription or Netflix
- Part of an entrepreneurial company that's raising the bar, and calling the trends of the developer economy
We hate CVs, we love people. Apply with a video or a short powerpoint presentation introducing yourself and why you want to work for SlashData. Mark it private or unlisted so that it’s only visible to us.