SlashData is the leading research company in the developer economy: We help the world understand developers and developers understand the world. We survey 40,000+ developers annually - across mobile, IoT, desktop, cloud AR/VR and machine learning - to help clients such as Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Amazon understand who developers are, what tools they love or hate and where they are going next.
We are now looking for a Technology Lead to architect and lead the development of the data gathering and visualisation tools and web apps that we use to conduct our research and present it to clients. Get to design solutions used by the top tech brands based on React, Lambda, Redux, Contentful and more leading edge tech.
The position is fulltime, either remote or based in our Athens office (if you happen to live near). We will consider locations within 2-3 hours of Central European Time or further for candidates willing to shift their working day to have significant overlap with the other team members in Europe. Depending on your location, you will be working from your home office, a co-working space as part of a distributed team or our Athens office.
What you‘ll be doing
- Leading the development of a custom data dashboard web app for displaying data to clients and developers. There are lots of dashboard tools in the world, but we have fairly rare data needs and an ambition to create world-class visualisations.
- Iterating on our in-house survey tool (built on Lambda, Redux and React) to reach developers everywhere in the world and provide a delightful UX.
- Maintaining and enhancing our developer and client-facing websites - by leading a team of developers.
- Using modern technologies - We’re into React on the front-end, using AWS Lambda and serverless architecture on the backend. We’ve deployed ‘static-CMS’ sites using Gatsby, Contentful, Prismic and Netlify. Much of our stack is using Node.js.
What we are looking for
- Experience leading/managing new development projects (designing systems from scratch)
- Experience managing a small team and leadership skills
- Appreciation for good UX & UI design, ability to contribute to a design discussion
- Backend web API development experience, preferably with some exposure to Node.js
- Experience working with relational and NoSQL databases
Bonus points for
- Have built single-page web apps and server-side rendered apps
- Experience with React, Redux, webpack and related technologies
- Experience with AWS Lambda or other “serverless” backend architecture
- Experience with data visualisation (e.g. using D3.js)
- Have built / worked with an intermediate data layer, that sits between multiple data sources and the front-end applications
- Basic understanding of statistics
Key success metrics
You will be successful in the role if in the first 6 months you have
- Led the development of an MVP for the new data dashboard web app
- Prioritised and managed the implementation of upgrades to the survey tool for our next global survey wave
- Built successful working relationships across the company to support other technology-related activities (e.g ensuring compliance with EU data protection regulations)
What we offer
- Opportunity to make a difference as part of the leading research company in the developer economy
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working environment
- Come to work in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, or tie and a suit
- Annual training budget to develop your skills and career
- Monthly book allowance from Amazon, on any book you like
- Spotify Premium subscription
- Your laptop of choice + large monitor
- Part of an entrepreneurial company that's raising the bar, and calling the trends of the developer economy
Apply with a short message introducing yourself, describing some relevant experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role. If you think a link to your LinkedIn profile or public projects is helpful then include one, but it’s not required.